Start Your Journey
REX Bariatric Specialists
Obesity affects every aspect of your life, both the physical and emotional. If you struggle to lose weight with diet and exercise, weight-loss surgery may work for you. Our expert team will provide you the foundation you need to achieve a healthier life.
The comprehensive bariatric weight-loss program with REX Bariatric Specialists is centered around education and support. This finely tuned program is designed to give you all the information you need to take the next step:
- Information seminar
- Orientation to the REX Bariatric Specialists program
- Surgeon consultation
- Nutritional counseling
- Psychological consultation
- Sleep study
- Gastroenterologist consultation
- Support groups
Types of Bariatric Surgery
Depending on your needs and goals, you and your fellowship-trained surgeon may choose to pursue one of these minimally invasive, bariatric surgery procedures:
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch
- Gastric bypass
- Gastric sleeve
Procedures work in two different ways: restrictive and malabsorptive. Restrictive procedures reduce the amount of food you can hold in your stomach, making you feel full faster. Malabsorptive procedures change your digestive tract so that you process fewer calories. In some cases, both methods are combined to effect greater change.
Weight loss results may vary depending on the individual. There is no guarantee of specific results. This website does not provide medical advice.
Are you a candidate?
You may qualify for weight-loss surgery at REX Bariatric Specialists if you’re at least 18 years old and have one or both of the following:
1. Body mass index (BMI) of 35–39.9, with a history of obesity-related conditions such as high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, infertility, high cholesterol or sleep apnea
2. BMI of at least 40, regardless of any history of obesity-related diseases
Keeping You Safe
At REX Bariatric Specialists, our patients’ safety and comfort are our top priority. We appreciate the trust you have in us and we’re doing everything we can to make sure you get the care you need.
We are taking a number of steps ensure your safety:
- Offering virtual visits when possible*
- When entering the clinic, patients and staff must
- Wear a mask at all times
- Answer questions about running a fever or difficulty breathing
- Cleaning more frequently, including between patients
- Limiting physical contact
- Practicing physical distancing of six feet when possible
- Limiting visitors and companions
- Adding extra time between patients
- Letting you wait in your car until your appointment time
*Not all insurance providers cover virtual visits. Please check with your insurance provider before scheduling.
Our program is built on providing you with the support you need to find a healthier life. To accomplish this goal, we assembled a diverse team of experts:
- Board-certified Bariatric Surgeons
- Licensed Psychologist
- Registered Dietitians
- Health and Exercise Educators
Meet Our Team
Additionally, our friendly staff is here to help you navigate our program and the insurance coverage process if you have questions.
- Krista Herrell | Bariatric Program Coordinator
- Tricia Burns | Physician Assistant
- Erica Mckearney | Physician Assistant
- Mary Gray Hutchison | Head Dietitian
- Caroline Pope | Registered Dietitian
- Hannah Garehan | Registered Dietitian
- Margaret Roberts | Registered Dietitian
- Jeanie Stasko | Health Educator, REX Wellness Centers
Meet our weight-loss surgeons
Peter C. Ng, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.S.B.M.S.
Dr. Ng feels fortunate to help you improve your health and change your life through weight-loss surgery.
Lindsey S. Sharp, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.S.M.B.S.
Dr. Sharp focuses not only on the weight you lose, but also on the health benefits, confidence and active lifestyle you can gain through bariatric surgery.
Dustin M. Bermudez, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.S.M.B.S.
Dr. Bermudez looks forward to caring for you long after surgery and seeing you achieve your goals.
REX Bariatric Specialty Center
4207 Lake Boone Trail Suite 210
Raleigh, NC 27606
Take the First Step
Start your journey by learning more about the benefits of weight-loss surgery and our comprehensive program at one of our information seminars. We offer in-person seminars in Raleigh. For your convenience, we offer a video seminar. After attending a seminar and deciding to join our program, we will help you register for our orientation class.